Ever since its release back at October 2000, Google AdWords has been considered the industry standard advertising platform. Millions of business worldwide have used Google AdWords to advertise their product, website, video or app.
In the previous post, we explored how John uses Google AdSense to generate passive income online from his blog. In this post, we are going to see how Bill uses Google AdWords to increase online sales.
Increase Sales Revenue using Google AdWords
Before we move on to the technical, let’s recap the concept:
- Bill’s goal is to grow sales by advertising his products to his target audience.
- The internet is his advertising space.
- Google AdWords is the delivery method.
Things Bill needs to do before advertising:
(1) Know what he wants to advertise (his store).
(2) Choose ad types (text, image, video, dynamic).
(3) Select ad sizes and design (upload or create in AdWords)
(4) Set campaign filters (much more about this soon).
(5) Activate the campaign.
Why Advertisers love Google AdWords:
- You can easily do it all yourself.
- You can start with very modest budgets.
- You can reach out to millions of people.
- You can launch multiple campaigns at once.
- You can advertised to very targeted audiences.
- You can get in-depth statistics about your campaigns.
- You can advertise in multiple locations around the web.
- You do not need to search for the advertising locations yourself.
Two key questions for advertisers
(1) Who is your target audience?
(2) What are your goals?
Only after answering the above questions, you should get started with your first campaign.
Setting up campaigns in Google AdWords
Bill stars by naming his campaign – “Photography Shop”, and according to Google’s recommendation – opts in to use both Google Search and Display Network.
What this means is that Google will display Bill’s ads on both Google search, and on relevant websites that currently generate revenue using Google Adsense.
Google AdWords campaign settings
(1) Location (countries, cities, regions, postal codes).
(2) Language (select multiple languages or only one).
(3) Devices (desktops, tablets, mobile phones).
If your goal is to bring new customers to your (physical) shop, you should target people from within your city and not from a different state or country. However, this completely changes depending on your target audience and what you are trying to promote or sell.
If you are advertising your new eBook, which has been written in English – you could select English alone in the language options.
Bid strategy and budget in Google AdWords
Ads within the same category or keywords compete against each other in an auction, and the winning ad appears to the user.
You can either set your max bid amount for each click (CPC) or allow Adwords to determine the bids amount for you to maximize clicks on your ads.
Next you need to set your daily budget. So for example if you set this to $10, and your CPC is $1 – this will result in 10 ad clicks.
Bid amounts vary based on competitions, ad type, and many other conditions. Consequently, I’d recommend new users to set a daily budget and allow Google AdWords to determine automatically the best bid to maximize clicks within the daily budget.
Bill’s ads on John’s blog
After Bill successfully launches his campaign, his ads start showing up on Google ad networks.
Ads can appear both on Google search result pages (for keywords such as camera lens or lights), or on related topic websites that display Google Adsense ads (e.g. John’s photography blog).
Google AdWords Guide Conclusions
Hopefully, this guide helped you better understand how to use Google AdWords to advertise your business and increase sales. Using Google AdWords and setting up a campaign is very easy and straightforward. If your goal is to increase your online sale, Google AdWords is the perfect delivery method for you. It only takes a few clicks to get your ads out to the world.
Be sure to check the previous post on how to make money online using Google AdSense.
If you need more help setting up your first advertising campaign check out the Google AdWords help center for more tips and tricks. If you’re new to the concept of sales increase using advertising, you can always start with a small budget and then increasing the amount of time.
The bottom line is you are no longer dependent on advertising agencies to run your campaign. Google Adwords is your personal advertising agency.